Sunday, April 27, 2008

PX No. 4


CAMERA: Polaroid Land Camera Automatic 100
FILM: Fuji FP100 B&W
DATE: 3/19/08
LOCATION: My Home on Leeside Isle in Hudson, FL
PX No. 4 was shot while I was still having shutter and light leak problems. I thought I could get my cat Hobbes to stay still in his cat bed but as you can see I was incorrect. Hobbes is one of my favorite test subjects. I like the movement in this image.

I left it on 3/24/08 on an end table at the Starbucks in Brooksville, FL on Highway 50 near the Suncoast Parkway. I have already left another photo at this location (PX No. 18) and that makes nearly 40 pictures I have left at random locations and still, no one has contacted me to say they have found one. I don't know what that says about my idea or about the lack of value that photographs have come to garner. I suspect that most of my pictures have found their end in a trash can. Some janitor or clean-up person picked it up as litter and assumed someone left it as trash or by accident. That reminds me of what my wife Linda said on the first day I told her of my plans. "Oh, so not only are you littering, but you're defacing public property as well."

Somehow that seems to make this project even more meaningful, that I'm leaving the pictures, that I value so much, knowing that they will likely end up being trashed. That will make the ones that are actually found (if any) even more vital.


No comments: